When is it time to replace?
- Certain telltale signs indicate it’s time to consider replacing heating and cooling equipment, or improving the performance of your overall system. It may be time to call a professional contractor to help you make a change if:
- Your heat pump or air conditioner is more than 10 years old. Consider replacing with ENERGY STAR qualified equipment that uses 20 percent less energy than new standard models.
- Your furnace or boiler is more than 15 years old. Consider replacing with an ENERGY STAR qualified furnace, which is 15% more efficient than a conventional furnace.
- Your equipment needs frequent repairs and your energy bills are going up. Your cooling or heating equipment my have become less efficient.
- Some rooms in your home are too hot or too cold. Improper equipment operation, duct problems or inadequate insulation could be the cause.
- No one is home for long periods of the day and you do not have a programmable thermostat. Install an ENERGY STAR qualified programmable thermostat or have a good contractor install one and instruct you on its use–to start saving energy and money while they’re away or sleeping.
- Your home has humidity problems. Poor equipment operation, inadequate equipment, and leaky ductwork can cause the air to be too dry in the winter or too humid in the summer.
- Your home has excessive dust. Leaky ducts can pull particles and air from attics, crawl spaces and basements and distribute them throughout your house. Sealing your ducts may be a solution.
- Your heating or cooling system is noisy. You could have an undersized duct system or a problem with the indoor coil of your cooling equipment.
Return to Tips Page